Genre: Young Adult, Short Stories
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Childrens
Publication Date: July 11th, 2017
Pages: 368 pages
ISBN: 1681193647 (ISBN13: 9781681193649)
Format: English version – Hardback
Start date: January 1st, 2018
Finish date: January 15th, 2018
Leave it to the heroes to save the world–villains just want to rule the world.
In this unique YA anthology, thirteen acclaimed, bestselling authors team up with thirteen influential BookTubers to reimagine fairy tales from the oft-misunderstood villains’ points of view.
These fractured, unconventional spins on classics like “Medusa,” Sherlock Holmes, and “Jack and the Beanstalk” provide a behind-the-curtain look at villains’ acts of vengeance, defiance, and rage–and the pain, heartbreak, and sorrow that spurned them on. No fairy tale will ever seem quite the same again!
Featuring writing from . . .
Authors: Renée Ahdieh, Ameriie, Soman Chainani, Susan Dennard, Sarah Enni, Marissa Meyer, Cindy Pon, Victoria Schwab, Samantha Shannon, Adam Silvera, Andrew Smith, April Genevieve Tucholke, and Nicola Yoon
BookTubers: Benjamin Alderson (Benjaminoftomes), Sasha Alsberg (abookutopia), Whitney Atkinson (WhittyNovels), Tina Burke (ChristinaReadsYA blog and TheLushables), Catriona Feeney (LittleBookOwl), Jesse George (JessetheReader), Zoë Herdt (readbyzoe), Samantha Lane (Thoughts on Tomes), Sophia Lee (thebookbasement), Raeleen Lemay (padfootandprongs07), Regan Perusse (PeruseProject), Christine Riccio (polandbananasBOOKS), and Steph Sinclair & Kat Kennedy (Cuddlebuggery blog and channel).
As you can see that these books were compiled from thirteen authors short stories. Each of them got a challenge from youtuber, book blogger, and book enthusiasts out there to do a short retelling from the infamous villains out there. There are retelling from Gaston in the Beauty and the Beast, Jim Moriarty, The Sea Witch, Hades, and so on.
Disclaimer: This review may contain spoiler!
~ My Rating ~
~ Goodreads Rating ~
~ Favorite Quotes ~
“Villains, the deliciously wicked.”
“Her name is Grace, and she is on fire.”
“We love to hate them and they hate to be loved.”
~ My Thoughts ~
What I like about this book:
- What made fell in love over a book was its cover. I was really falling hard for this book cover, the dust jacket to be precise. The combination of purple gradation was matched with the dark rose in the middle. It really shows that villains are around us but they full of thorns in a dark world of them. But unfortunately I don’t like the cover of its paperback. Although in the same picture but the color is different which I felt it was not pretty enough.
- Through the short stories, I can compare the writing style of one author to another. I can fell the differences of each author style from the authors which works I had read before and from them who I had not. I found some unique style in conversation such as using a script conversation style. There was also one that used the second person point of view. It was rare for me to read that second POV story. And honestly I didn’t like it. I could not grasp the real idea ekekeke.
- This was not a long book which suit me to finish this book faster than my other thick series (although the real thing was, I finished it in two weeks, meh!!)
What I don’t like about this book:
- I guess I am not into a short stories compilation books which more than two or three stories. There were some things that should be written more. I was curious enough with the realization that there will be no continuation of the stories. This feeling decreased the stars I gave to this book.
- There are some stories that I could not understand (mostly from the author that I hadn’t heard before). And also that second POV story was one of my dislikes. I could not grasp the point and it felt weird to read from “my” point of view. Basically the story is good but I was not into it.
~ Conclusions ~
Those likes and dislikes above that made me gave 4 stars out of what the community hype and what it mostly gave. As the conclusions:
- I won’t re-read this book as well as any kind of book except my favorite.
- This book deserved to be collected. I was in love with the cover design. Wasn’t this dust jacket lovable?
- I am still considering to buy books in short stories anymore or not. But one thing for sure that I am definitely gonna buy the Star Wars books which written in so many great authors point of view.
All and all, this is my honest opinion only. Every person may have a different perception and taste. Maybe you have different opinions. If you would like to share feel free to leave your comment below. 🙂