Title: Almost Midnight
Author: Rainbow Rowell
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Short Stories
Publisher: Macmillan Children’s Books
Publication Date: November 2nd, 2017
Pages: 144 pages
Format: English version – Hardback
Start date: December 23rd, 2017
Finish date: December 24th, 2017
Where to buy: The Book Depository – Hardback
Midnights is the story of Noel and Mags, who meet at the same New Year’s Eve party every year and fall a little more in love each time . . .
Kindred Spirits is about Elena, who decides to queue to see the new Star Wars movie and meets Gabe, a fellow fan.
Midnights was previously published as part of the My True Love Gave to Me anthology, edited by Stephanie Perkins and Kindred Spirits was previously published as a World Book Day title.
Disclaimer: This review may contain spoiler!
~ My Rating ~
~ Goodreads Rating ~
~ Favorite Quotes ~
“The whole world is dancing with you.”
“And it’s okay. Just… I need you to take me with you.”
“If you like someone, you should have to make an effort.”
~ My Thoughts ~
What I like about this book:
- Can you not see the beautiful cover? It is amazinggggg. I love the cover design. I love the glittery part. And I live the combination of dark Blue and pink color of it. This was my dream to be able to design a good cover but unfortunately I was not creative enough, akakakakak.
- Currently (after knowing fantasy books), I am not into contemporary books. I am just got bored easily. So it was good for me to read contemporary in short story version. So it was straight to the climax without too much drama. But I am pretty sure that due to this book I will read contemporary books again in the future (not only in short stories format).
- This was a very light read and a good rest after a hard, dark, long book such as Red Rising. My reading mood was back thanks to this little beautiful book along with another Mangas.
- Since it was light, the conversation was also easy to grasp, very Rainbow Rowell style. I once read one of her book years ago although only for a few chapter but I liked how she wrote and suite to any range of age (starting from young adult of course).
What I don’t like about this book:
- I know it only contained of two short stories, but it made this book very tiny unlike other hardback books I had. I just don’t really like the idea that hardback books has so many different sizes.
- Well apparently I don’t have any other dislikes :-D.
~ Conclusions ~
Those likes and dislikes above that made me gave 4 stars out of what the community hype and what it mostly gave. As the conclusions:
- I won’t re-read this book as well as any kind of book except my favorite.
- This book deserved to be collected. I was in love with the cover design. So magic and used a dark blue gradation color which was my favorite color.
- Although I gave this book a four-star rating, this was not categorized as my favorite. I just love the cover so much :-*.
All and all, this is my honest opinion only. Every person may have a different perception and taste. Maybe you have different opinions. If you would like to share feel free to leave your comment below. 🙂
I also will like to recommend the kids birthday parties Santa Fe Springs (http://www.jumpersjungle.com/santa-fe-springs/) if you are plenty a party for the little ones, last week I attended a party hosted by them and it was so fun.