[BOOK REVIEW] Red Rising – Pierce Brown
Title: Red Rising
Author: Pierce Brown
Genre: Young Adult, Science Fiction, Fantasy
Publisher: Del Rey (Random House)
Publication Date: January 28th, 2014
Pages: 382 pages
ISBN: 0345539788 (ISBN13: 9780345539786)
Format: English version – Hardback
Start date: December 9th, 2017
Finish date: December 12th, 2017
Where to buy: The Book Depository – Hardback or The Book Depository – Paperback
“I live for the dream that my children will be born free,” she says. “That they will be what they like. That they will own the land their father gave them.”
“I live for you,” I say sadly.
Eo kisses my cheek. “Then you must live for more.”
Darrow is a Red, a member of the lowest caste in the color-coded society of the future. Like his fellow Reds, he works all day, believing that he and his people are making the surface of Mars livable for future generations.
Yet he spends his life willingly, knowing that his blood and sweat will one day result in a better world for his children.
But Darrow and his kind have been betrayed. Soon he discovers that humanity already reached the surface generations ago. Vast cities and sprawling parks spread across the planet. Darrow—and Reds like him—are nothing more than slaves to a decadent ruling class.
Inspired by a longing for justice, and driven by the memory of lost love, Darrow sacrifices everything to infiltrate the legendary Institute, a proving ground for the dominant Gold caste, where the next generation of humanity’s overlords struggle for power. He will be forced to compete for his life and the very future of civilization against the best and most brutal of Society’s ruling class. There, he will stop at nothing to bring down his enemies… even if it means he has to become one of them to do so.
Disclaimer: This review may contain spoiler!
~ My Rating ~
~ Goodreads Rating ~
~ Favorite Quotes ~
“Break the chains, my love.”
“Patience is the better part of valor. And obedience the better part of humanity. Listen to your elders.”
“I am no martyr. I am not vengeance. I am Eo’s dream.”
~ My Thoughts ~
What I like about this book:
- I love action superhero movie so I pictured this book as I watched those superheros that were transformed from nothing to something and had those wonderful superpowers. Darrow was changed into a human that I adore the most. And you know what, I pictured him as Rhysand :-D. I really loved the part when Darrow transformed something new. Only I was hard to picture Darrow before he changed. I already pictured him very awesome :D.
- Another thing that attracted me was its dust jacket. The simple red wings was very minimalist and cool. Do not have so many ornaments but it really showed how hard to live in a territory that full of racist but want to rebell.
- I was so crazy with the twists here and there (at least now I realize that I always looked for twists in a book, haha, to me plot twists made the book even more awesome). It was something unpredictable, although there had some parts that were also easy to be predicted.
- The setting area of the book was unusual. In some parts I pictured a world like in Avatar the movie, in some parts like watching Star Wars, and in some parts like seeing The Lord of The Ring battle area. The experience of reading related to another planet (in this case is Mars with so many other territories) was just epic. I really want this book to be transferred into a movie. It would be very awesome to see all the science fiction combine with colossal effect.
What I don’t like about this book:
- This book was full of politics which make the sentences hard. For me who hate politics, it was hard to easily grasp the meaning of some harder parts. Well, I admit I was not clever enough, ekekekeke.
- There were some parts of the writing style that bothering me. In my point of view, some parts should be described well because it was part of the climax but unfortunately it was just described flatly just like reading a flat diary. So I didn’t get the excitement in reading that part that should be awesome.
~ Conclusion ~
Those likes and dislikes above that made me gave 3.75 stars out of what the community hype and what it mostly gave. As the conclusions:
- I surely will not re-read this book again. To hard for me. But this one deserves to be kept and collected. I am definitely not gonna unhaul this book ever!!
- I love Darrow soooo muuccchhh. This is my third book boyfriend after Rhysand and Kaz Brekker on my list, HaHa.
- I will definitely read this series until the end. I heard that the next books will be very great than the first book. Especially the fourth book, Iron Gold, that will be released in this month of January. It has gorgeous white cover. I fall in love with it easily (it will be cool if I can have the signed copy version :D).
All and all, this is my honest opinion only. Every person may have a different perception and taste. Maybe you have different opinions. If you would like to share feel free to leave your comment below. 🙂