[BOOK REVIEW] Gemina – Jay Kristoff & Amie Kaufman
Title: Gemina (The Illuminae Files #2)
Author: Jay Kristoff & Amie Kaufman
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy
Publisher: Alfred A. Knopf Books for Young Readers
Publication Date: October 18th, 2016
Pages: 659 pages
ISBN: 0553499165 (ISBN13: 9780553499162)
Format: English version – Hardback
Start date: December 9th, 2017
Finish date: December 12th, 2017
Where to buy: The Book Depository – Hardback or The Book Depository – Paperback
Moving to a space station at the edge of the galaxy was always going to be the death of Hanna’s social life. Nobody said it might actually get her killed.
The sci-fi saga that began with the breakout bestseller Illuminae continues on board the Jump Station Heimdall, where two new characters will confront the next wave of the BeiTech assault.
Hanna is the station captain’s pampered daughter; Nik the reluctant member of a notorious crime family. But while the pair are struggling with the realities of life aboard the galaxy’s most boring space station, little do they know that Kady Grant and the Hypatia are headed right toward Heimdall, carrying news of the Kerenza invasion.
When an elite BeiTech strike team invades the station, Hanna and Nik are thrown together to defend their home. But alien predators are picking off the station residents one by one, and a malfunction in the station’s wormhole means the space-time continuum might be ripped in two before dinner. Soon Hanna and Nik aren’t just fighting for their own survival; the fate of everyone on the Hypatia—and possibly the known universe—is in their hands.
But relax. They’ve totally got this. They hope.
Disclaimer: This review may contain spoiler!
~ My Rating ~
~ Goodreads Rating ~
~ Favorite Quotes ~
It’s not about what I say, right? It’s what I do that matters here.
And blood and tears and screams did not matter anymore, because at least they are together.
And now, born from the ashes, she’s a warrior in bloodied black.
~ My Thoughts ~
What I like about this book:
- What got me into reading this was the format of the book. It was very unique. This book wanted us to feel like a reader who read bunch of case transcripts. We needed to understand like a detective that gather all information from his colleague. Which made this book supppppeeeerrrr cool. This kind of format did not make me bored. I even finished this in 4 days!!!!!! (This is a progress for me hahahaha, I usually read a thin book for a week).
- Another thing that attracted me the most was its dust jacket and its hard cover. I just love the transparent plastic cover. It really matched with the book and its story. Well, introduce me to this kind of hardcover, I will gonna buy it immediately (hahaha, says the book hoarder).
- I am a fan of fantasy and / or science fiction book. Tales and Futures are very interesting to me. More over when the story is very action like a movie, I will definitely fall in love with it. This book made me feel so. I love the characters’ action inside it. The tension between the protagonist and antagonist was thrilling. It was just fantastic like watching movies!! I hope this book will turn into a series of movies and played by them who played in the Avenger… hahahaha. Okey don’t ask me about world building because I thought every author has its own style in building their own book world (well frankly speaking that I do not really understand about world building … ekekekkee). As in Gemina, we will understand what Gemina really is after 3/4th of the book. So just be patient.
- Beware of plot twist!!! I had a hate and love relationship about this book. That plot twist scattered me!!! I hate you Mister Kristoff :’-(. The funny part was that everytime I talked about auditing (I am an auditor and in charge in company regular audit activities) I immediately remember Gemina and its evil “AUDIT MEMBERS”. Am I becoming a bad person right now? 😀
- Who doesn’t love romance in a book? To me the romance between Hanna and Nik not as lovely as Kady and Ezra buttttt (damn) the plot twist made the Hanna-Nik’s relationship very special and unthinkable! I was fooled all the time reading this book.
What I don’t like about this book:
- I gave it 10 SOLID GOLD STARS!!! So no dislikes hehe. But only suggestion though, although it looked exclusive but I don’t really like white cover book. While reading I kept seeing the white cover (I always leave the dust jacket at home because it was very hard for me to read hardback book with its jacket on), afraid they got dirty 😀
~ Conclusion ~
Those likes and dislikes above that made me those 10 stars out of what the community hype and what it mostly gave. As the conclusions:
- I am probably gonna re-read this book only if there will be no book to be read hehehe (I am not the kinda reader who re-read a book although I love it so much, beacause my TBR is high and I am a slow reader).
- I can say that the second book is much way better from the first book. The first book to was just an introduction of the Illuminae group. But the second one was very tensed. Do not give up on book 1, you will meet the best part later :-D. I am waiting for the third book!!! Please the author, can you just make the publication date faster?? *grinning*.
- I definitely WILL NOT unhaul this book. This series are very good to be kept and collected. I even bought the Indonesian version of Illuminae only to have the special bookmarks of Kady and Ezra, while the book will be my giveaway prize for Indonesian residence.
- What made a book interesting to me is when I could not guess what would happen next. This happened when reading Gemina. I could not guess anything and learnt so many things from each characters.Well, I thought when that certain someone died, he would be death and no resurrection, but I was fooled. The dying part was the answer on GEMINA itself. Ooooo I really salute the authors.
All and all, this is my honest opinion only. Every person may have a different perception and taste. Maybe you have different opinions. If you would like to share feel free to leave your comment below. 🙂